10 Fun Facts About Earth Day
Earth Day is coming up on April 22! Are you ready to celebrate? While it’s not the most well-known “holiday,” Earth Day has been gaining more and more popularity over the years. Founded in 1970, Earth Day is a global event that teaches people about the importance of keeping the planet clean and healthy. With climate change worsening over the years, taking care of the Earth and raising awareness of environmental issues has become increasingly important. If you’re passionate about environmentalism, Earth Day is a great opportunity to take part in activities that can make a difference. This article will teach you a little more about the holiday, and hopefully get you excited about taking part in it this April 22nd!
|Related: 8 Ways to Easily Reduce Waste in Your Home|
- The holiday was founded by a U.S. Senator from Wisconsin, Gaylord Nelson, on April 22nd, 1970.
- 20 million Americans participated in the very first Earth Day.
- Earth Day began as an American movement to raise awareness about environmental issues, and went international in 1990.
- For the rest of the world, the holiday is known as International Mother Earth Day.
- In 2012, over 100,000 people in China celebrated Earth Day by riding their bikes to help reduce CO2 in the environment and save fuel.
- In New York City, thousands of people attend the annual Earth Day New York event which features live performances and exhibits from green businesses.
- On April 22nd, 2011, 28 million trees were planted in Afghanistan by the Earth Day Network.
- Earth Day’s 50th anniversary will be in 2020. The theme for 2018 will be “End Plastic Pollution.”
- The Earth Day Network’s Canopy Project was put in place in 2010, and its plan is to plant 7.8 billion trees around the world by 2020.
- Some people, schools, and organizations extend the holiday and make it Earth Week, holding activities and workshops to educate people about sustainable living.
Win a $2,500 Scholarship!
Join ScholarshipPoints today and be automatically entered into our monthly $2,500 giveaway.
November 01, 2020
Tired of the same old, same old? Check out some of these brands instead.