NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING. VALID IN THE 50 UNITED STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ONLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. ELIGIBILITY: The ScholarshipPoints®Preparing for College Essay Contest (the “Contest”) is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia who are members of the Edvisors ScholarshipPoints.com program.
Entrants must be in or entering their senior year in high school, or in or entering their first year (12 months) in any postsecondary, accredited higher education institution is an eligible college/university at the time of entry for the purpose of this scholarship.
In order to receive the prize, winners must provide proof of enrollment at a college or university. Prizes will be delivered via check directly to the specified college or university. If the entrant is not enrolled at a college or university, the payoff will be delivered to the entrant's 529 plan on behalf of the entrant, or delivered directly to the entrant. See Section 5 for additional details. Void where prohibited.
Employees of Edvisors Network, Inc. (the "Sponsor"), and their respective subsidiaries and affiliated companies, divisions, officers, directors, agents as well as members of the immediate family of any such employees, are not eligible to participate and win. The term "immediate family" includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents, and grandchildren, whether as "in-laws," or by current or past marriage(s), remarriage(s), adoption, co-habitation or other family extension, and any other persons residing at the same household whether or not related.
2. CONTEST ENTRY PERIOD: The ScholarshipPoints®Preparing for College Essay Contest begins on October 8, 2018 at 9:00:00 AM Pacific Time ("PT") and ends on November 23, 2018 at 11:59:59 PM Pacific Time (“PT”). Sponsor's computer is the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
3. HOW TO ENTER: In order to enter the ScholarshipPoints®Preparing for College Essay Contest, you must:
Submit within the Contest Entry Period one (1) wholly original essay based on the provided essay prompt with no fewer than three-hundred and fifty (350) words and no more than five-hundred (500) words, with a maximum of three-thousand and two-hundred characters (3,200), including spaces. The essay must be submitted via our online submission form at https://info.collegeloan.com/edvisors-essay-scholarship.html.
4. HOW AND WHEN WINNERS WILL BE DETERMINED: Two (2) Winners will be selected by a panel of judges, scoring essays on the following criteria (collectively, “Judging Criteria”):
a. Understanding of essay prompt: essay entry demonstrates thorough comprehension of the essay prompt
b. Focus on one scenario: presents a precise scenario of one challenge
c. Topic and theme: stays focused on central topic and theme
d. Personal insight: offers abundant insight into applicant’s unique situation
e. Structure: excellent essay architecture with a wide variety of sentence structures
f. Grammar: free of grammatical errors
Winners will be notified via email on or around December 12, 2018.
By submitting Content, Entrant represents and warrants (if Entrant is a Minor, Entrant’s parent or legal guardian represent and warrants) the following:
(ii) The Entrant holds the sole and exclusive rights to the “Essay” Entry;
(iii) The Entry does not and will not violate (as determined by the judges and/or Sponsor) any right of a third party including, without limitation, any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, confidentiality, publicity, privacy, and any other intellectual property right;
(vi) The Entry is not and will not be defamatory or libelous (as determined by the judges and/or Sponsor in their sole and absolute discretion), and as of the date of submission, is not the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim; and
(v) The Entry must not include any content or material that depicts or incorporates unsafe behavior or situations, obscenity, defamation, disparagement of any product, person, or organization, or any other inappropriate or objectionable content or material, as determined in the sole and absolute discretion by the judges and/or Sponsor.
Odds of winning depend upon the number of eligible entries. Winners agree to be bound by these Official Rules and decisions of the Sponsor, whose decisions are final on all matters relating to scholarships awarded through the ScholarshipPoints website.
5. PRIZE(S): There is a total of two (2) $2,500 Prizes. Two winners will be selected and each winner will each be awarded $2,500 (two-thousand and five hundred dollars).
The approximate retail value (“ARV”) of each Prize is two-thousand and five hundred dollars (U.S. $2,500). Each Prize will be delivered to winner's college or university to be applied to the winner's school account, paid to winner's 529 plan or paid directly to the winner. Prizes will be awarded directly to the Member's college or university, if enrolled; no other option will be available. If the Member is not enrolled in a college or university, the prize will be awarded to a 529 plan, if a plan can be opened and operated at no cost to the Member or if the Member chooses. A check will be written to the Member only if the Member is not enrolled in college or university and is unable to open and operate a 529 plan at no cost and is unwilling to open and operate a 529 plan for which the Member will incur some cost. Georgia residents must be enrolled at a College or University in order to redeem a prize. Any and all other expenses not specifically mentioned herein are the sole responsibility of each winner. The Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any portion of these prizes for a prize of equal or greater value. No transfer, assignment, change of the prize, or cash substitution is permitted. If a winner cannot be contacted or is disqualified, the Sponsor reserves the right to determine an alternate winner, in its sole discretion. Unclaimed prize(s) will not be awarded. Other restrictions may apply. All federal, state, and local taxes on the prize are the sole responsibility of each winner.
6. CLAIMING PRIZE(S): Potential Winners will be notified via email on or around December 12, 2018. Potential Winners will be notified by email within five (5) business days of selection, and will be given five (5) business days to confirm receipt of notification. The email address provided on the submission form will be the email address used by the Sponsor to notify the potential Winners. Sponsor is not responsible for any change of email address, mailing address, and/or telephone number of Entrants. If a winner cannot be contacted from the information provided, in their ScholarshipPoints.com user account, or online Essay submission form, the Sponsor reserves the right to select another winner at its sole discretion. The Sponsor is not liable if email is not responded to within the time allowed Potential winners are subject to verification, including verification of age and verification of current enrollment at either a secondary or post-secondary educational program or institution per terms of eligibility. If a potential winner is found not to be eligible or not in compliance with these Official Rules, if attempted notification or any prize is returned as undeliverable, if any required documents are not returned within the required number of days, if a winner cannot be verified, or if a winner is otherwise unable or unwilling to accept and claim the prize as stated, if winner cannot verify enrollment at an eligible US secondary or post-secondary educational program or institution per terms of eligibility, then winner may be disqualified and the prize may be forfeited in Sponsor’s sole discretion. In the event that a potential winner is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor reserves the right to award the prize to an alternate entrant who will also be selected in a manner consistent with the Official Rules. Even if the disqualified potential winner’s name may have been publicly announced. Winners may be required to complete, sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability Release, and, where lawful, a Publicity Release, within seven (7) business days of attempted notification or prize may be forfeited. Prizes won by an eligible entrant who is a minor in his/her state of residence will require parent or legal guardian to sign and return all required documents.
7. RELEASE FORM: Each winner will be required to complete and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability Release (including, where permitted, a Publicity Release) (the "Affidavit") within seven (7) days of notification. Failure to return the executed Affidavit within that time may result in forfeiture of prize and entrant with the next highest score will be declared the new potential winner. A parent or legal guardian of any Entrant who is a minor must sign a release on behalf of the minor for the minor to be eligible to receive a prize. Each winner will be subject to a verification process, to include providing a completed W-9 including the winner's name, address, home phone number, work/cell phone number, and social security number or taxpayer identification number.
8. DELIVERY DISCLAIMER: The Sponsor disclaims all liability for the inability of a Entrant to complete an online entry due to equipment malfunction, busy lines, inadvertent disconnections, acts beyond their control, or otherwise. The Sponsor disclaims all liability for any delays, mis-delivery, loss, or failure in the delivery of any item sent by electronic transmission. The Sponsor is not responsible for human, mechanical, technical, electronic, communications, telephone, computer, hardware or software errors, malfunctions or failures of any kind, including: any form of active or passive filtering, insufficient space in Entrant's e-mail account to receive e-mail messages, failed, misdirected, incomplete, garbled or delayed transmission of online entries, traffic congestion on telephone lines, the Internet, or on any website, or lost or unavailable network connections which may limit an online Entrant's ability to participate in the ScholarshipPoints®Preparing for College Essay Contest, and any injury or damage to Entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating in or downloading any information necessary to participate in the ScholarshipPoints®Preparing for College Essay Contest. Only entries submitted via the specified URL as indicated in Section 3 will be accepted. Entries are void if incomplete, defective, altered, forged, illegible, or received outside authorized channels. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual (and all of his or her entries, or any portion thereof) who tampers with the entry process. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion to cancel or suspend the ScholarshipPoints®Preparing for College Essay Contest for any reason or should fraud, virus, bugs or other causes beyond the control of Sponsor corrupt the administration, or security of the Contest. In the event of cancellation, Sponsor will determine winners in an equitable manner as determined by Sponsor.
10. LICENSE TO CONTENT: By participating in this Contest, Entrant (and if Entrant is a Minor, Entrant’s parent or legal guardian) without consideration, irrevocably grants Sponsor, its subsidiaries, divisions, affiliates, and advertising and promotional agencies, an unlimited, worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free, unconditional license and absolute right to edit, modify, adapt, distribute, stream, post, publish, broadcast, reproduce, store, copy, transmit, publicly display, exhibit, exploit and/or otherwise use the Essay in whole or in part, and copyrights therein, in any way and in any and all media, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, including but not limited to, the posting of the Entry (in whole or in part) on the Website, social networking sites or any websites owned or operated by Sponsor or its affiliates, divisions or subsidiaries. Upon Sponsor’s request, Entrant (and if Entrant is a Minor, Entrant’s parent or legal guardian) agrees to sign any and all legal forms deemed necessary by Sponsor to irrevocably assign, convey and transfer to Sponsor any and all right, title and interest in and to the Essay, including without limitation, all copyrights associated therewith, or that Sponsor may otherwise reasonably require in order to effectuate the purposes and intents of these Official Rules.
11. TAXES: Any valuation of the prize stated above is based on available information provided to the Sponsor, and the value of any prize awarded to a winner will be reported for tax purposes as required by law. Each winner is solely responsible for reporting and paying any and all applicable taxes related to the prize and paying any expenses associated with any prize(s) which are not specifically provided for in the Official Rules. Each winner must provide the Sponsor a completed IRS Form W-9 with valid identification and a valid taxpayer identification number or social security number before any prize will be awarded. Any person winning over six hundred dollars ($600.00) in prizes which is paid directly to the person, not sent directly to the College or University or paid into a 529 plan, from the Sponsor will receive an IRS form 1099 at the end of the calendar year and a copy of such form will be filed with the IRS.
12. CONDUCT AND DECISIONS: By participating in the Contest, Entrants agree to be bound by the decisions of the Sponsor. Persons who violate any rule, gain unfair advantage in participating in the Contest, or obtain winner status using fraudulent means will be disqualified. Unsportsmanlike, disruptive, annoying, harassing or threatening behavior is prohibited. The Sponsor will interpret these rules and resolve any disputes, conflicting claims or ambiguities concerning the Official Rules of the Contest and the Sponsor's decisions concerning such disputes shall be final. If the conduct or outcome of the ScholarshipPoints®Preparing for College Essay Contest is affected by human error, any mechanical malfunctions or failures of any kind, intentional interference or any event beyond the control of the Sponsor, the Sponsor reserves the right to terminate this Contest, or make such other decisions regarding the outcome as the Sponsor deems appropriate. All decisions will be made by the Sponsor and are final. The Sponsor may waive any of these rules in its sole discretion. Any attempt by an Entrant or any other individual to deliberately circumvent, disrupt, damage or undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek civil and/or criminal prosecution and/or damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
13. RELEASE: As a condition of entering, Entrants (and if Entrant is a Minor, Entrant’s parent or legal guardian) agree (and agree to confirm in writing): (a) to release Edvisors Network, Inc., and their respective subsidiaries and affiliated companies, divisions, parent companies, officers, directors, employees, agents and employees of agents, and advertising and public relations agencies and all others associated with the development and execution of the Contest, from and against any and all liability with respect to or in any way arising from this Contest or the use of the Entrant's entry and the awarding, receipt, possession and/or use or misuse of any prize, including without limitation liability for any travel related to the Contest, death, personal injury, loss, and/or disability; (b) under no circumstances will Entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and Entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, consequential, or any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses; (c) all causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (d) any and all claims, judgments, and award shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, excluding attorneys' fees and court costs.
14. MISCELLANEOUS: Winner(s) must submit proof of eligibility and sign the Sponsor's Affidavit to claim the prize. The Sponsor may substitute prizes, as well as extend, modify, or discontinue the Contest at any time without prior notice. The Sponsor disclaims any responsibility to notify Entrants of any aspect related to the conduct of the Contest. The Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical error in the printing of these Official Rules, administration of the ScholarshipPoints®Preparing for College Essay Contest or in the announcement of the Contest prizes. All entries and information become property of the Sponsor and will not be returned.
15. TERMS AND CONDITIONS: All Edvisors Network Inc. terms and conditions are incorporated into the rules of ScholarshipPoints®Preparing for College Essay Contest.
16. JURISDICTION: By entering, Entrants agree that all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, Entrant's rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Essay-Based Scholarship shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Nevada without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules. By entering, Entrants consent to the jurisdiction and venue of the federal, state, and local courts located in Las Vegas, Nevada.
17. CHOICE OF LAW: Any and all legal disputes and lawsuits between Entrants and Sponsor shall be governed by the laws of the State of Nevada.
18. SEVERABILITY: If any provision(s) of these Official Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
19. FTC DISCLOSURE RULES: Each winner is required to comply with the FTC’s rules governing online endorsements or any similar rules when posting online reviews or comments regarding the Sponsor or its services.
20. WINNERS LIST: For a list of winners, please visit https://www.scholarshippoints.com/rules/essay-scholarship-winners/
21. SPONSOR: Edvisors Network, Inc., 10000 W. Charleston Blvd., Suite 200, Las Vegas, NV 89135